If you want to achieve your goals, make sure you know what they are!
Here’s how to achieve your goals!
Too often, people are so caught up with the idea of money and power that they forget to consider the legacy they want to leave behind in this world and the things that they want to achieve in this world today. Make sure you take the time to actually achieve your goals so that you don’t look back at your life with regrets.
In order to live a life that you will be proud of one day when you look back in time, make sure that you have passion and that your passion translates into achievable and time bound goals.
Once you’ve found your passion, figure out the exact pathway to make your dreams your reality.
Finding your passion, setting your goals
In order to achieve your goals, you need to set them and the best way to set goals is to make sure that they are tied to your passion.
I’ve written about finding your passion, and your life goals will most likely will be linked to your passion. I said in an article called “How to find your passion” that these were some questions that you could ask yourself if you needed to find your passion;
- What do you do in your spare time?
- What do you comment on or share on social media?
- What kinds of books do you read?
- What makes you feel excited?
- What can you talk about for hours/ if you had to teach a subject, what would that subject be?
Once you know what your passions are, you need to set goals in order to achieve those goals. Goals are more specific outlines of things that you can achieve within your passion.
- A goal is an endpoint which you want to reach.
- A passion is something you enjoy that gives your life meaning and purpose.
So if your passion is teaching, your goal may be to become a teacher. However, your life goals may not necessarily be about your career. Perhaps you’re perfectly happy working in a career that may not be your calling because it helps you to fulfil the items on your bucket list. And that’s fine too. No one can tell you what should and shouldn’t work for in your life. Only we know what makes us happy and what enables us to sleep through the night. If you do feel the need to set goals for yourself, here’s a suggestion on how to do that.
Where should you start?
It’s not enough to just know what your passion is. You also need to be able to make your passions a part of your reality and you do that by setting yourself some achievable goals. Setting goals enables you to follow a path because let’s be honest, it’s so hard to keep focused on living up to our true potential in a world filled with distraction.
Here’s how you can set your goals;
- Figure out what your passion is by following the steps listed above.
- Decide what it is that you want to achieve by considering what your passions are and deciding what would make you feel most satisfied in your life. You don’t have to decide to end world poverty but you can decide to help end hunger for one child.
- Set specific goals. Decide exactly what it is that you want to achieve. If you want to travel, make a list of the places you want to go to don’t just say “travel”. If you want to lose weight, say exactly how much and in how long. Make sure your goals are limited within a time frame.
- Write your goals and action plan down. Ask yourself how you will achieve your goal and the type of plan you will need to put into place in order to make it happen. Writing down our goals helps to cement them in our minds and make them more real to us. Make sure your goals are achievable so that you don’t set yourself up for failure. This doesn’t mean that you can’t set the bar high, just be realistic about what you can and can’t do.
- Read over your goals regularly as a constant reminder of what it is that you are trying to achieve. It doesn’t help anyone if you write them down but then put them somewhere in the back of the drawer and completely forget what you had planned in the first place.
- Review and adapt. Nothing is set in stone and as a human being you are entitled to change your mind. If you find new passions or decide on something else being more important then you are welcome to adapt or change your goals. They are there for you and only you, to help you achieve your dreams so if your dreams change, it’s okay for your goals to change too.
Goals will change over the course of your lifetime. The things we find important at age 10 are not the same as the things we find important at age 25. There is no reason why your goals should remain the same for the course of your adult life so don’t feel guilty if you need to overhaul your goals entirely. What’s important is that you work towards achieving the things that make you happy today.
If you’ve had a good experience with achieving goals, please do let me know in the comments what approach you took to make your dreams comes true. Did you set goals or just get there by chance?