The List – My top 10 all time movie list

top ten movie list

top ten movie list

Movies are a really personal thing. Everyone has different ideas of what makes a movie great. For me, movies are mostly associated with the memories that they bring. Star Wars for example, is certainly one for the books, just not my list because (and don’t kill me) I don’t really enjoy them. In fact, I haven’t even watched all of them. Movies remind me of places, of people, of moments in time. I usually love movies with happy stories and happy endings but some of the ones that tug on your heart-strings stay in your mind much longer.

This is a list of ten movies that have made me happy or made me think and in some cases changed my life completely (like the Notebook for example).

Don’t judge me for my choices, or do but know that it doesn’t bother me if you don’t agree…. it’s my list after all. Aren’t personal blogs awesome πŸ˜› Hehe seriously though, let me know if any of my top movies are on your list too.

In no particular order, other than when I remembered them while typing out the list,

my all time movie list

1. The Shawshank Redemption – Who doesn’t have this on their list?
  2. Fallen – I even named my cat after the spirit in this movie.
  3. The Notebook – Read this post on why. Basically, the movie changed the course of my life.
  4. The Little Mermaid – Honestly, when I think about the underlying context of this movie I am annoyed that I love it. Ariel (the little mermaid) literally gives up her voice and tail, completely changing who she is for a prince who has no interest in her as a person but only for her looks. Having said that, it was one of the movies from my childhood that I watched over and over again. When we moved into a house with a pool, it was the game “mermaids” that filled our summers.
  5. Breakfast at Tiffany’s – I just love this move. I’ve written about the book, which is one of my favourite ever here. I love Audrey Hepburn and her glorious portrayal ofΒ Holly Golightly.
  6. E.T – I don’t know why. Honestly, I remember watching this movie as a child. I loved it. I loved the cute little alien and everything about the movie. If I’m honest, I don’t even remember the movie now because it has probably been over 20 years since I watched it.
  7. Pulp Fiction – How can you not love this cult classic. Also, the dance moves. I think I’ve said enough.
  8. The Lion King – Scar! Rafiki! Those two should have a movie of their own…. and also Pumba and Timone and Mufasa and Simba and Nahla. Okay you get the point right? I love the movie, I love all the animals in it and I LOVE singing a long. I will admit, I even own the Lion King soundtrack. Because I’m cool like that.
  9. The Green Mile – It’s a beautiful movie about a man with a special gift, who is on death row. It’s beautiful, it’s moving and it makes you think about how wrong death row is. I’m completely anti the death penalty so movies like this are extra sad to me.
  10. The Die Hard Movies – Because Bruce Willis was the sexiest man alive and I wanted to marry him. Also, there is so much damn action that is just too good to miss.

So, those are my favourites and a little bit about why. Have you watched any of them? Which ones?

What’s on your top ten movie list? Let me know in the comments.

Related Posts

17 Discussion to this post

1. Jolene says:

1. Braveheart
    2. The Shawshank Redemption
    3. Fried Green Tomatoes
    4. The Green Mile
    5. The Pursuit of Happyiness
    6. Think Like A Man
    7. Fast and the Furious
    8. The Notebook
    9. Aladin
    10. Focus

• TyrannyofPink says:

Jo, we could honestly have a movie marathon together. If you’re talking the first fast and the furious and not all of them I love EVERY movie on this list except Focus, which I’ve never heard of so I’m guessing I need to go watch that. GREAT list!!

• Jolene says:

Hahahaha….I liked most Fast and the Furious movies except for the ones that Vin Diesel was not in! Those were crap! Focus is the latest one with Will Smith! Let me know what you think of it when you get the chance!

• TyrannyofPink says:

Oh, the one in honour of Paul Walker? I stopped watching them when VD left…. and really don’t think I’ll bother with this one either.

2. All great movies. My all time favourite movie is “In the Name of the Father” – Daniel Day-Lewis. (A true story about the “Guildford Four” – an Irish movie.

3. raquel says:

This may sound Corney but I can remember the day I was at ur house for the weekend sitting upstairs when we both said our favourite movie was fallen…wirh the Jon bon Jovi poster on ur cupboard door…and that’s almost 15 years or more ago….suxh awesome memories!!!

• TyrannyofPink says:

Raquel, I remember that EXACT moment and you won’t believe me but for the last 15 years every single time I’ve thought about that movie, I’ve thought oh, that’s Raquel’s favourite movie too! Lol every single time!!

Wonderful memories!
      We had a great years together!

x

4. Bonnie den Otter says:

Love almost all your movie choices. But … you forgot about Love Actually and Dirty Dancing. πŸ™‚

5. DaniP says:

My top 10 have to be:
    1. The Notebook
    2. PS I Love You
    3. All Fast & Furious movies
    4. All Step Up Movies
    5. The Hobbit Trilogy
    6. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    7. The Kings Speech
    8. Artifact
    9. As it is in Heaven
    10. Braveheart

• TyrannyofPink says:

Hmm, it seems we’re never going to the movies together πŸ˜› I love the Notebook, enjoyed the Lord of the Rings (but not enough to top 10 it) and Braveheart was really awesome…

6. Gerard says:

So mine are:
    1. Star Wars Trilogy – If you need to ask which ones, don’t.
    2. Monty Python’s Holy Grail – Can talk along with the script word for word for the entire movie.
    3. Lethal Weapon Movies – Buddy cop at it’s best. Witty one-liners and super 80’s cheese action.
    4. Naked Gun movies – Lieslie Nielsen at his best.
    5. Everything by Miyazaki – Anime at it’s best.
    6. Stargate – The origin of some of the best series ever.

• TyrannyofPink says:

Thanks Gerard, I can totally see a trend happened here…mostly movies I am not in to but thumbs up for the Miyazaki choice πŸ˜›