…and the answers are simple
A while ago (longer than I care to admit) I was invited by Patri from The Stereoscopic Eye to participate in this exchange of questions and I’ve been looking forward to finally getting around to indulging in some thoughts about myself while answering these questions because let’s be honest, who doesn’t love to dig down deep and ponder the meaning of life. I knew Patri’s questions wouldn’t disappoint with her strong opinions on feminism and a love of photography and art that really pushes the boundaries. Her questions include having to choose between superpowers – yeah exactly!
Getting to know me…
1. Ice breaker. You can choose between two superpowers: invisibility and flying. Which one do you go for? Why?
Absolutely without a single hesitation flying. I’ve sky dived and even though I was terrified at the time, there is no feeling quite like it. I’ve grown up riding horses and the feeling of galloping might come close but my ultimate super power would be leaping off a building and just going where my heart desires.
2. Who is the female/feminist super-hero of your life?
My mother. Definitely my mother. She had me when she was really young and didn’t let anything get in the way of always being a super mom. I watched her walk away from a horrid relationship with my dad even though she had nowhere to go from there – she did it.
I don’t know anyone with more strength than her! She taught me that sometimes you have to put your brave face on, even when you’re terrified and always stand up for yourself. I don’t know anyone with more integrity and independence than her.
She hasn’t always had things easy but she has always been an absolutely dedicated and loving mom. When people say I’m like my mother I’m so honoured and flattered.
3. It’s the end of the day and you have been working hard. You are tired but very hungry. What do you have for dinner?
TAKE OUT! I am a huge fan of calling for deliveries. My husband normally makes dinner because I hate cooking so if I was tired and hungry there is no way in hell you will find me in the kitchen… it’s sushi time.
4. What is worse: one week without Internet or one week without mobile phone? Why?
A week without internet. I would die without access to my online life. My blog, my career, my friends, everything, are all right there available to me. As an introvert I don’t really like talking on the phone anyway so I’m happy to be without my phone.
5. Describe the perfect cup of coffee/tea. Each step counts!
I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and countless cups of tea throughout the day. If I was forced to choose one forever… I sure would miss my daily cup of coffee!
The perfect cup of tea:
- boil water
- choose perfect cup – must be medium-sized (I hate long thin cups) – this step is vital!
- place tea bag in the cup
- one sugar – un-heaped (is that a real word?)
- pour water directly onto tea bag and let all the tea goodness come seeping out
- once tea looks dark and strong pour in a dash of milk
- tea should now be a little less black but NOT extremely milky. The key is to get it strong and have only a tiny bit of milk in there and definitely don’t use full cream milk.
- Drink while so hot that it burns your tongue a little.
6. Who is your favorite visual artist? Why?
For favourite artist Salvador Dali hands down wins this round! I love the surrealist depiction of real life issues and I love the melting clocks and how they represent what was a real issue in his world and just fit so perfectly into his made up world.
“The only difference between me and a madman is that I’m not mad. ”
However my favourite painting is The Scream by Edvard Munch. I think my own artist style is quite influenced by Munch’s as well.
There are other artists I love too like Frida Kahlo, Rene Magritte and Matisse…
7. Could you tell me the story about the last time you took a photograph?
These days most of the photographs that I take are documenting my baby’s development and the size of my belly – so not all that exciting. I usually take a photo on Saturday morning on my way out the house as Saturday’s are the days that we count weeks by.
Although this last weekend, we were visiting my grandparents and needed to get out the house for a bit so we went for lunch. The place we ended up was this beautiful rustic and down to earth place at the harbour. So I got to take some photos of the view and parts of the decor – it was beautiful.
8. And the story behind the last time you received a photograph (mobile-phone message, email, tagged in social networks…)
Last night. My brother-in-law sent a photo of his son (a very cute almost 2 year old) to the family group we have on our mobile phones.
9. So, this good friend of yours has obviously drunk too much and is telling horrible racist/sexist jokes at your dinner party. How do you deal with it?
I would call them on their behaviour and tell them it’s not appropriate and that I won’t tolerate such behaviour in my home. I would also very likely reconsider my friendship with that person as I don’t believe in associating myself with people who have underlying racist/ sexist tendencies.
10. Where do you want to be five years from now? (this question was already given to me and I loved the challenge of answering it!)
Oh these kinds of questions always make me think so far into the future. Surely I should just have this at my fingertips but I’m currently going through so many life changes that it’s maybe not as obvious as it should be. I hope that my blog will be successful and established by that time. I hope that I’m able to earn an income as an entrepreneur. I will by then have a five-year old child so I suppose I see myself running around doing a lot of mom type errands. I hope to be happy. I think happiness is the most important thing and if you can find a way to live in your happy place then that’s all that matters.
11. If they would make a movie of your life, who would have to play you? (same here)
Maggie Gyllenhaal. I think she’s amazing as an actress but I also think we look very similar so she would be a believable character. I love her cool and calm style but she’s so versatile that she’d be able to pull off any role.
Getting to know you…
So the traditional thing to do now is to ask a list of questions and then tag a few other bloggers in the list but instead I’m going to do things my way. I’m going to ask a few questions that I would love YOU to answer any one of.
Just pick any one that you relate to the most and leave your answer in the comments below! 🙂
- What makes you the most happy in your life?
- Are there things in your life right now that you wish you could change? Tell me about one of those things and how you would go about changing it.
- When you look back on your life, what is the one moment you wish you could live over?
- Do you consider what you do every day to be your calling, your career, your job or just what you have to do? Tell me what it is that you do.
- What does success mean to you?
- How did you end up in the career that you’re in?
- What vision did you have for yourself ten years ago – are you in that place you imagined?
- What has surprised you most about the way your life has turned out?
- If they would make a movie of your life, who would have to play you? (I just loved this question)
- What is the best part of the weekend for you?
Remember, you can pick any question you want to or none at all… leave your own below if you prefer! I just love questions like this that make you think about where you are in your life and the things that make us happy or how sometimes, what makes us happy isn’t at all what we thought.
Thanks again Patri for the original questions 🙂
Really looking forward to reading all your replies…